Major Depression. It's one of the most difficult challenges a person can confront. And in the face of the apathy and lack of energy that it brings, therapists often feel inadequate and powerless to help.
*Yet there ARE remarkably effective treatments for depression. The challenge for the clinician is not to invent a whole new therapy, but to take the lines of evidence-based treatment and create an integrated program tailored to the needs of the individual client.
Where should you start, and which components are important? Behavioural activation? Lifestyle modification? Dietary management? Social life enhancement? Situational problem-solving? Cognitive restructuring? Emotional strength-building? Exploring the role of meaning?
This two-day workshop provides a rationale and strategy for integrating all of these approaches into a sequence tailored to the individual client. We travel step-by-step through the process, all the way from intake assessment to relapse prevention.
Along the way, participants are introduced to over 70 print resources designed to enhance therapy and support change. All of them are provided in Adobe Acrobat pdf format on CD-ROM, ready to be printed and supplied to clients to augment therapy.Program Contents
The program includes:
- Three principles in therapy for depression
- Two models of depression
- The causes of depression
- A brief discussion of the biology of depression
- Assessment strategies
- Use of the Depression Map Questionnaire (DMQ)
- Engaging the client in therapy
- Goal setting and behavioural activation
- Lifestyle/behavioural strategies
- Cognitive strategies
- Emotion-based strategies
- Situation-based strategies
- Socially-based strategies
- Meaning-based strategies
- Relapse prevention
Along the way we consider:
- Why treating the symptoms (as well as the causes) of depression is essential.
- How to turn negative emotions into allies.
- Why hope is not the goal of treatment.
- How to uncover destructive core beliefs.
- Why feelings of being overwhelmed are tremendously valuable.
- How to open up to emotion without getting swept away by it.
Workshop participants receive:
- A CD-ROM or email with documents for reproduction and distribution to clients.
- A manual to assist in guiding the use of these materials.
- Notes pages of the presentation audiovisuals.
The Training Workshop
The Depression Map is a two day workshop. The workshop content is presented via lecture, discussion, and clinical exercises.
Who should attend the workshop?
The workshop is intended for professional therapists, including:
- Clinical counselors
- Social workers
- Occupational therapists
- Psychiatric nurses
- and other trained psychotherapists.
Feedback on this program
“Very well laid-out. User-friendly techniques for busy therapists. Good metaphors and case examples.”
“This was a great learning experience. Thank you for being so generous in sharing the materials.”
“I REALLY REALLY appreciated the holistic approach.”
“The presenter uses his considerable knowledge, skills, and experience to deliver an informative and interesting workshop. Well worth the time and money.”
“Excellent workshop. I am looking forward to using the material when working with my clients.”
“A very practical, user-friendly workshop. Great techniques for clients. Love the CD!”
Interested in Hosting a Workshop in Your Region? Click here